Saturday, June 26, 2010

How the Busy Find the Time…

I knew as soon as someone read the title, the response would be, “Who isn’t busy?” or “That’s so me, I have no time for anything.” Precisely what I was after! EVERYONE is busy. When a client comes to me and asks me to help with their health and wellness goals, the first words out of their mouth are, “but I have no time.” This is then generally followed up with a list of all the things they are doing to qualify to me or to themselves that they have no time.
The path to wellness starts with conviction. I have always said and believed this. Half heartedly going forward into anything never turns out well. In general, our lack of time to commit to health and wellness usually stems from our lack of commitment to ourselves. We are never as important as anything else going on around us. We seem to find time for everything, from work, to partners, to shopping, to sports, to kids sports, to Fido’s daycare…but when it come to actually taking care of ourselves, the pot is empty.
I propose this little proverb that was shared with me, “We cannot continue to fill the cups of others, if we ourselves are empty.” Think on that a minute. Basically, how can we continue to serve the needs of all the others and other things that we have deemed so important without taking the same considerations for ourselves?
Yes guilty. I am as guilty as the next person of over scheduling. As are most of my clients. Basically, while multitasking gets the job done, it is certainly not helping us stay healthy or to feed our souls. In an effort to keep life balanced, my advice is to schedule the same consideration for yourself as you would schedule time for everything else. Make yourself the appointment you need to keep. Truly, once you begin to shift the focus of yourself from last place to first place, the things that you value most in doing will be that much better. You can begin to approach them with more energy, engagement and less resentment because you have already taken the time for yourself, to take care of yourself. So, whether scheduling and appoint for gym time, meditation, healthy meal preparation, make it something you enjoy and something that gives back to you throughout the day.
Be well - Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment